Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What my kids' teachers really wanted to say.

We got the big kids' school evaluations last week. None of what the teachers said, was a surprise to us. The big kids are exactly the same at home as they are in school.

Let's start with Bear. What the teacher wrote is in black. What I think she really wanted to say is in red.

Bear arrives each morning enthusiastically, ready to jump (sometimes literally) into his day. Your kid is hyper. He will, more often now, look to his teachers for morning instructions rather than wandering around the classroom. Your kid is not quite as spacey as he used to be. Bear has become more comfortable working independently (His self esteem no longer sucks), requiring few reminders that he is capable of completing the task (He no longer says he is too tired to do things, doesn't know how, or can't) (for example cutting) and is providing more detail before completing his work (a scribble is not Art). We are very proud of the progress Bear has made in writing his name. Bear, too, takes pride in his accomplishments. We continue to provide activities to strengthen his fine motor skills and we appreciate the practice provided at home (The Leapster Explorer you got him is really helping his writing skills).

Blah, blah, blah. (I didn't really say, blah, blah, blah.) Bear requires teacher support in handling a frustrating situation (He starts crying or yelling.) We remind him to use his kind words and voice when playing with his classmates. Bear will usually quickly accept this redirection in order to continue playing (because we threaten him).

It is a pleasure to have Bear in class. Thank you for sharing him with us (We say this to everyone).

And then there is Monkey who's teacher said this:

Monkey is a wonderful little girl and is well-liked by all her classmates. She enters our room each morning happily, independently, and ready to begin her day. She has strong fine motor skills, and really enjoys being creative at the writing tables and in Art. She is always cooperative and helpful, and has a tender, nurturing personality. She enjoys helping both teachers and friends. Monkey enjoys the variety in our day and is never at a loss for something to do. She plays well with many different students and participates in a variety of activities throughout our day and our centers.

Academically, Monkey is a very strong student. She has an obvious love of learning and can always be counted on to pay attention during structured activities. She is one of our best contributors during Circle time and in group discussions (She is a know it all, like Hermone Granger). We are certain she will love Kindergarten and do very well there. Thank you for sharing AM with us this year (I am not just saying that. Did you read what I wrote about her?). We look forward to her continued growth.

Now, my thoughts.

I wish I could say, "Well, Bear at least you are better at sports.", but she is better at those too. The girl is coordinated and smart.

Poor Bear for having a twin sister like Monkey. I wouldn't want her for my sister. Actually, my sister was always really smart and I was the dumb one (Not that I think Bear is dumb. He isn't.), but at least I was a better singer and was more coordinated. Once I got to college I figured out that I wasn't dumb after all. I just needed to study and she didn't (I am still bitter about that).

I don't want it to take until college for Bear to figure out he is smart too, so now I am on a mission to find something Bear is better at than Monkey and I am going to do my best to let him know he can do anything he sets his mind to.

No comments:

Post a Comment