Thursday, June 21, 2012

Trying not to compare the kids

Can someone please tell me how I am not supposed to compare the kids to each other?

This is a picture that Monkey made of her and her daddy.



This is a picture I encouraged Bear to make to put in the journal he is supposed to bring to Kindergarten with him. I am assuming so the teachers can see what they have to work with. It is a picture of him and his cousin Jacob.






When Monkey saw it she asked, "Why are the arms coming out of their heads?" Bear just laughed and said, "I don't know how to make a body, so I didn't." Monkey told him to, "Just make a rectangle next time".

I think Bear's egg people are cute, but I am scared he is really far behind other kids his age. I don't know what to do. He just wants to play and rough house all day. He doesn't want to draw or write his letters. He doesn't want to learn to read. Do I force him to do it?

He is not the type of kid that you can force to do anything. I was happy I got him to draw the egg people and to attempt to draw some words below, that you can't see in the picture.

Yesterday, I made some flash cards with sight words for Kindergarten on them. Monkey saw me making them and wanted to make some too. She made flash cards for all the sight words for 1st grade though 2nd grade. Then she typed stories from Dick and Jane (all of which she can read) and then Good Night Moon (which she can't read) on the computer. She read the first two Bob books to me today and part of the third book and the fourth book. She doesn't quite have books three and four down yet. Bear can't read at all. I feel like I am failing him, but when I look at his egg heads, I smile. I love that kid and his stubborn ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment